Teen Pregnancy Among Hispanic Children

Read Complete Research Material

Teen Pregnancy among Hispanic Children

I. Executive Summary

Throughout the world, the rates of teenage pregnancy in 2002 and following years have been on a rising trend. These range from the maximum of Niger and Congo (about 200 pregnancies per 1000 teenage women) at rates of 1 to 3 per 1000 in North Korea, South Korea and Japan. It is noteworthy that among the developed countries of the OECD, the United States and United Kingdom have the highest level of teenage pregnancy, while Japan and South Korea have the lowest. According to Save the Children, each year 13 million children are born to women under the age of 20 throughout the world, over 90% (11.7 million) in developing countries and the remaining 10% (1.3 million) in the developed countries. Studies show that a gradual decrease in the rate of pregnancy, birth and abortion among adolescents is mainly due to the use of contraceptives. One of the reasons for the further decline of teenage pregnancies in recent years is probably due to an increased use of more effective contraceptive. In the United States, three in ten girls are pregnant by the age of 20. According to 2007 data from National Campaign, the pregnancy rate among girls under 20 was almost one and a half times greater than that of adolescents in the U.S. For teens 15 to 19, there is a significant difference in birth rates between the U.S. and Tennessee. For non-Hispanic whites, the teen birth rate in Tennessee is only one and a half times greater than the U.S. blacks; the birth rate among adolescents is 20% higher. The birth rate among Hispanic teens is more than double. More than half of the unintended pregnancies occur among women using no contraceptive method. 23% of sexually active girls have intimate relationships without any protection. Over 70% of teens say they are embarrassed to buy condoms or other contraceptive method.

Teen Pregnancy among Hispanic Children

II. Problem History


Teenage pregnancy is an important issue among young generation. Young pregnancy can impact on the health of the baby and they are likely to endure social, health and emotional problem when they grow older. These young women are also at risk of huge complication like pre-mature labor and other major affect on their health. Teenage Pregnancy is made more frequently than what society would accept; they are difficult experiences that affect the overall health of teen parents and their children, families and society itself (Feijoo, 1999).

The changes that teen experience within themself cause the start of an intense sexuality and feeling that are related to express the disappointment and rejection by their adults. This disappointment converted in to the sexual relationship by the opposite sex from which young women receive sense of security and care. This hampers the development of communication and well-oriented sexuality favoring increased early sexual activity, with risks of abortions and pregnancies.

Current Context

At present, teen pregnancy has been described as a public health problem, since in recent years there has been an increasing number ...
Related Ads