Nursing: Nightingale Florence

Read Complete Research Material


Nursing: Nightingale Florence

Outbreak of e coli

In outbreak of the E coli O157 bacterium occurred in South Wales in 2005. It was the biggest outbreak ofE. coli O157 in Wales and the second largest in the UK. 157 situations were recognised in the outbreak; 31 people were hospitalized, and one progeny, 5-year vintage Mason Jones died. Most of the 157 cases identified were young kids, attending 44 distinct schools over four distinct localized administration - Bridgend, Methry Tydfil, Caerphily and Rhondda Cynon Taf. Of those contaminated, 109 situations were recognised as a strain ofE. coli O157 exclusive to this outbreak.

The first situations were recognised on 16 September 2005, after 5 young kids had been accepted to a clinic in Methry Tydfil. The soonest signal of sickness had been the 10th September. Most situations had began before the end of September, though the last case of the outbreak was recognised on 8 November 2005.

For numerous of those affected, the sickness progressed with a typical method of vomiting and bloody diarrhoea, occasionally premier to renal failure. Afterwards, some of those affected spoke of long-lasting physical and psychological effects.[2]

Mason Jones

The most tragic outcome of the E.coli was the death of 5-year vintage Mason Jones from Deri, Caerphilly. He had attended his localizedizedized prime school and bound the infection by a serving of food served at the school. Mason was dispatched dwelling from school on Wednesday 21 September feeling ill, soon after his elder male sibling had retrieved from the identical illness. His status step-by-step worsened over the next couple of days. The out-of-hours wellbeing service didn't answer directly to Mason's worsening status, but he was admitted to clinic on Sunday 25 September, where he was identified with renal malfunction and transferred to a expert unit in Bristol on Monday 26 September. Despite intensive care, Mason died on Tuesday 4 October.

Source of the Outbreak

The source of the outbreak was traced to meat supplied by a butcher at Bridgend - John Tudor & Son, the proprietor of which was William Tudor. The contaminated beef had originated at the abattoir of William Tudor's kin, JE. Tudor & Sons ltd. Despite some warnings by nourishment hygiene inspectors, William Tudor continued to be awarded agreements to provide meat to local schools for school meals. He had falsified records that were an significant part of nourishment security practice and had lied to ecological health officers. In the Public investigation Report, lecturer Hugh Pennington said “the accuse for the outbreak rests squarely on the bears of William Tudor”.

Despite the death of Mason Jones, the Crown Prosecution Service decided against seeking a conviction for manslaughter,[5] and William Tudor was finally convicted after pleading guilty to 7 food hygiene offences and was punished to one year in prison. He was issued after assisting 12 weeks of that sentence.


The Public Inquiry into the outbreak was commanded by Professor Hugh Pennington, who had furthermore presided over the investigation into the Lanarkshire outbreak in 1996. The report was released on 19 stride ...
Related Ads